The caulking was removed by hand. Most of it just pulled straight out with very little residual caulking left in the grove. It obviously was not providing any sort of water seal.
It will be final sanded when the caulking is complete.
We did the deck in small sections to make the job more manageable.
cleaned, taped, primed and caulked comfortably in a day
The channel was then primed with MSP 10 Deck Primer. During the refurb of the rear deck we ran out of the MSP 10 and it is not readily available in Malaysia. We spoke to Troy at Fixtech Australia. He suggested that an alternative primer is Internationals Everdure Epoxy. We were able to get this from Singapore so the rear has been primed with Everdure. ( It will be interesting to compare the 2 decks in a few years time.)
We waited approximately 2 hrs then gunned the MSP 100 into the channel taking care to slightly overfill the groove. After applying the bead into a channel a plastic trowel was lightly dragged over the bead to smooth the MS 100 and minimise the amount of sanding that will be required to complete the project.
After about 2 hours the tape is removed leaving clean straight lines. The taping step saves a lot of sanding and leaves the teak with crisp shar
This is the rear hatch after final sanding and the Teak Seal Colour Protector and Silver Protector have been applied.
The decks are now finished.